Error decoding parse-server response

My guess now is 2021-03-14T02:24:47.841Z isn’t a valid UTC time (not sure how to test this theory) so Swift throws an error. This would mean either: 1) The server isn’t on UTC time, or 2) It’s not producing a valid UTC time string. Switching the day/year slightly creates a valid UTC time string so it works. Are you able to verify if your server uses UTC?

All I can understand right now is that indeed, the returned time is not UTC. “2021-03-14T02:24:47.841Z” never existed (it is during the skipped hour) and therefore is an invalid date/time.

Let’s see what @davimacedo says about the server’s UTC response.

So I was on to something about the server not reporting a correct UTC time? Good to hear!

One thing you can try is to delete that user in the dashboard (I’m assuming it’s a dev server) and then create a new one by signing up. I’m guessing you will be fine now since that time passed…

Yup did that and it works! :grin: I’ve been playing around with other queries now… every time there’s a mismatch between the server response and the struct I get the same error. At least now I know more about the framework!

1 Like

Since I was creating my records through the Parse Dashboard (the web interface), this all might actually be a dashboard bug if it’s just taking the browser’s local time and putting it in the createdAt field, and marking it as UTC.

Interesting and definitely a possibility…

There was a date encoding/decoding bug that was recently fixed in Parse Swift. The fix is in release 1.2.4 and may allow you to use dates entered from the dashboard.

I’ll update! I haven’t had any more date issues since my first bug. :+1:t3: