Configuring Sign in with Apple with Parse Server 4.2.0

The new version of Parse Server resolved some issues related to How to configure ā€˜SignIn with AppleIDā€™.

How should the configuration be done on the Parse Server?

Is only the configuration indicated at https://docs.parseplatform.org/parse-server/guide/#apple-authdata sufficient?

I miss this guidance in the documentation.

Hi @RodrigoSMarques, welcome to the community!

I notice that this is cross posted from GitHub - #6564. We ask people to avoid cross posting as it can lead to confusion and duplication of information. However, this question is more appropriate on the forum, perhaps that was your thinking?

Iā€™m not aware that the configuration should be any different on 4.2.0, are you encountering any issues currently?

Hi @Tom,

I closed the issue open on Github. It was open there because it was without access here.

I have version 4.1.0 and was having problems with Sign in with Apple.

I noted that in version 4.2.0 this issue was corrected:

FIX: Improve reliability of ā€˜SignIn with AppleIDā€™ # 6416. Thanks to Andy King.

And an improvement was added:

NEW: Apple SignIn support for multiple IDs # 6523. Thanks to UnderratedDev.

For example, I have two apps, which access the same Parse Server, one for the user and one for administration. How is this configured on the Parse Server? How do you use multiple IDs?

In Apple Developer a .p8 file is generated to use Apple Sign. Where should this file be configured on the Parse Server? Or donā€™t you need this file?

I havenā€™t upgraded to the new version of Parse Server yet, but it looks like something is missing.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking.

I understand, thank you for closing that issue.

Iā€™ve had a look through those PRs and I must say Iā€™m not sure :slight_smile:. I did notice these lines in #6523ā€¦

// the audience can be checked against a string, a regular expression or a list of strings and/or regular expressions.
       audience: clientId,

To me that suggests that in the Parse Server config you can specify an array of clientId. Iā€™ve mentioned this to UnderratedDev and Andy so hopefully they can shed some more light on the situation.

Iā€™m not aware of any need for a .p8 file for Sign in with Apple.

Please see this infoā€¦

If you are sending tokens generated from apple devices (iPad, iPhone, Watch, etc) you can send them directly to parse, & configure the parse server (with an array of client idā€™s if using different bundle identifiers).

If however you are using web authentication then you do require a p8 file, & I have a server in between parse server & the client (web client) so the token that is generated from apple servers goes to my backend where I request a token from apple using the token from the user (request token), & then validate it using my p8 file on my backend, & then I use the parse method to authenticate with authdata.

and more detail here.

Hi @Tom,

Thank you for the information.

Last weekend I updated my server to the latest version and configured the Parse Server.
I followed the guidelines of this link. In client_id I used the serviceid created on the Apple Developers website. After this process, the login was successful in the app, creating the user correctly in the Parse Server.

What causes confusion is that all sites with instructions on how to use Sign in with Apple indicate the generation of the .P8 file. Some sites indicate using the ā€˜apple-developer-domain-association.txtā€™ file and there is no such option on the Apple Developer website.

It was a lot of mismatched information. It has now become clear that it is only necessary for authentication via Web. I believe that it is valid to document on Parse Server under what conditions the .P8 file should be used.

Thank you very much for your support.

Iā€™m glad to here youā€™ve got it working. We are working on improving the documentation shortly and also adding tighter integration in the iOS SDK to make the process of using Sign In with Apple more straightforward.

I believe the apple-developer-domain-association.txt file is used for sending emails via Sign In with Apple. I was able to generate one from the developer website but itā€™s possible that the process has changed since I was looking at it.

The Apple Developers website is different from all the tutorials I have found so far. There is no longer an option to generate the apple-developer-domain-association.txt file

This integration of the iOS SDK with ā€œSign In with Appleā€ will be interesting.

But, I am developing now using Flutter. Swift I only use to develop something that doesnā€™t yet exist in Flutter, as called from other SDKs

Thanks for the feedback. We can close this task.

1 Like