Open Collective budget / finding new contributors / strategy

Thanks for joining the discussion!

I agree that keeping close communication between the community and hosting providers is mutually beneficial - in my opinion it would be great to hear the feedback coming from your customers.

In terms of specific areas where we could do with help - the iOS SDK has seen better days and is still lacking a committed maintainer - I think that it would be great if we have a comprehensive Swift iOS SDK.

1 Like

Twitter ads are super expensive and will be useless for awareness (you will spend the money super fast and will not have a good effect). The approach should be entirely different.

In my opinion investing in good articles, tutorials, howtos, boilerplates, SDKs and etc will generate more value, as well as organising meetups, participating events and giving talks.

If you create some of the things mentioned above that relieve a big pain of the developers I think it could become viral in lots of networks, because will solve a real problem and then could be boosted with some money for ads as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A Hangouts where all of this can be discussed will be a good start :slight_smile:

Have you already thought about the future of parse? maybe this can give you some ideas.

For example, I have seen other technologies (Strapi, Hasura) and I think we can improve the dashboard to make it more usable and friendly for new users. The plugin system can be a excellent integration to parse-dashboard

Strapi plugins:

1 Like

In terms of SDK support, it sounds like there is a problem with managing to keep the SDKs updated. The majority of the focus is on the core server and the JS SDK. Having lots of SDKs to maintain can create a problem as it’s hard keeping them in sync with a) themselves, but b) the server core.

I’m not sure if it’s changed recently, but there was also a problem in a differing interface.

Would it make sense to push hard on getting the graphQL changes into the core, as this could eliminate the need for the SDKs as you could use an off the shelf client?

1 Like

I started to do roadmaps a while ago but there weren’t any takers. Maybe we should change the way we approach them. I can think of a dozen more features we could implement.

I had the idea of giving some of these away.

1 Like

Discussion on the creation of a road map has now been split into a separate topic.

1 Like

How much does the parse group pay for hosting? Are there any overheads, if so, probably best if the money was set aside to assist in this area. I noticed a mention that this forum costs some cash, is it recurring?

Swag is always good - Love the T-Shirt, When you contribute to Gitlab, they send you a link to a shop, meaning that they don’t give stuff away for free, but you can buy special contributors only merch.

W

2 Likes

These are the only costs that @flovilmart has submitted to the open collective but I’m not aware if there are or aren’t any other expenses. Any ideas @acinader?

@awgeorge & @TomWFox you can see both the contributions and the expenses here:

https://opencollective.com/parse-server#about

We have what we need to cover the expenses as they exist, but what could we do with the balance?

To provide an update on this, so far I’ve tried doing some Twitter and now Google Ads. It’s difficult to see how effective they are without a clear measure of conversion - it would be awesome to see a clicks to contributors rate :sweat_smile:

I have seen quite a large increase in clicks through to this forum since starting the Google Ads.

At some point I’d like to get some stickers printed, with the idea that people could ask for some to take and share at conferences etc…

1 Like

All the Youtubers seem to use https://teespring.com/en-GB/shop - basically, upload the artwork, people purchase the item, parse gets the profit it set in the product setup. No harm in taking no profit if you want some knarly merch at good prices (probably).

Have you guys seen this: https://github.com/sponsors ?

The Ruby on Rails org has a similar weekly newsletter. It’s short and easy to read. Definitely keeps me updated and aware of activity.

2 Likes

yes, and I have applied. No word back from github yet.

For those interested @acinader has proposed a paid contributors program as a way to utilise the Open Collective budget. Everyone is welcome to vote on the proposal and express their opinions here.

I’m still interested in doing a newsletter, I think monthly might work better in our case. I think it could act as a nice way to summarise releases, big changes, security alerts and maybe highlight issues with help wanted.

On the other hand I don’t want to create too many channels, at the moment we have Twitter, the blog, this forum (although we don’t use it for announcements), GitHub. Do you think having a newsletter as well would be overkill?

For anyone who’s interested the paid contributors program is now live! Other suggestions for use of the open collective budget are still welcome of course.

1 Like

I’d buy a definitely t-shirt.

+1 for shirts, and stickers too ! I owe everything to parse-server and the wonderful community!