ParseSwift SDK: Observe LiveQuery WebSocket status

Unfortunately not, even I went through your example and it make sense. I mean in my case the LiveQuery works also fine if there is always a connection and app active, otherwise I get it unreliable and isConnected == true even there seems to be no connection (example, new cloud code pushed while app running) and I still could not figure out how to detect that there is “deaf” connection.

For example nicely reproducible is the case where I push new cloud code when having app running:

Successfully subscribed to new query Query(method: “GET”, limit: 100, skip: 0, keys: nil, include: nil, order: nil, isCount: nil, explain: nil, hint: nil, where: ParseSwift.QueryWhere(constraints: [“objectId”: [ParseSwift.QueryConstraint(key: “objectId”, value: “b2CP6LViu6”, comparator: nil)]]), excludeKeys: nil, readPreference: nil, includeReadPreference: nil, subqueryReadPreference: nil, distinct: nil, pipeline: nil, fields: nil)

changing data in dashboard notifies the client:

LQ Updated: PrsProfile ({"…truncated properties…"})

same as throttling the connection with Network Link Conditioner, pushing a new cloud code triggers most of the time this errors (but sometimes goes also without):

2021-06-11 12:36:59.206205+0200 Felse[9329:887688] Connection 3: missing error, so heuristics synthesized error(1:53)
2021-06-11 12:36:59.206525+0200 Felse[9329:887688] Connection 3: encountered error(1:53)

When I print the LiveQueryClient variables right after that I see no change and there are unfortunately no updates coming anymore, liveQuery goes deaf:

TODO: check if fetch is needed (LQ disconnected or appLaunch) and eventually pass fetched objects or flag that fetch is needed
testing subscription: Optional(ParseSwift.SubscriptionCallback<Felse.PrsProfile>)
testing LiveQuery isConnected: Optional(true)
testing LiveQuery isConnecting: Optional(false)
testing LiveQuery isSocketEstablished: Optional(true)
testing LiveQuery isSubscribed: Optional(true)
testing LiveQuery isPendingSubscription: Optional(false)

In cloud code logs I can see entry Client disconnect matching the time when I terminated the app, so that works as wanted, just the logs appear with a weird delay. But I also noticed other cloud code logs that are always 2x even the function on the client side is being called only once… Further I noticed that beforeSave trigger is getting called when login in… So I contacted Back4App support to see what is happening first, to clarify that my cloud code is not blocking/holding anything and from there I will have to see.

Otherwise I am neither sure what to do so that the client notice that LiveQuery is deaf, nor how to reset LiveQuery if I would even detect such event as combination of .close() and .open() does not seems to behave well in my case… I see clear Client disconnect in the log after .close() , but nothing happens after .open()

Have you tried unsubscribing/subscribing instead of closing/opening? I would guess most devs don’t necessarily need to worry about opening/closing the connection directly, more just subscribing/unsubscribing to queries

For this I have tried a simple testing function that I trigger while client app is running:

parseService.unsubscribeAllQueries { error in
  print("error when unsubscribeAllQueries: \(error)")
  if error == nil {
     self.parseService.testLiveQueryOnProfile()
  }
}

unsubscribing with this code:

func unsubscribeAllQueries(completion: @escaping (Error?) -> Void) {
        print("TODO: closing just a testing query subscription: \(subscription!.query)")
        do {
            try subscription!.query.unsubscribe()
            completion(nil)
        } catch {
            completion(error)
        }

}

subscribing with the playground example:

func testLiveQueryOnProfile() {
        print("testing live query for objectId: \(String(describing: PrsUser.current?.objectId))")
        //testing LiveQuery only
        if let objectId = PrsUser.current?.objectId {
            //: Create a query just as you normally would.
            let query = PrsProfile.query("objectId" == objectId)
            //: This is how you subscribe to your created query using callbacks.
            subscription = query.subscribeCallback!
            print("cached subscription: \(String(describing: subscription))")
            //: This is how you receive notifications about the success
            //: of your subscription.
            subscription!.handleSubscribe { subscribedQuery, isNew in
                //: You can check this subscription is for this query
                if isNew {
                    print("Successfully subscribed to new query \(subscribedQuery)")
                } else {
                    print("Successfully updated subscription to new query \(subscribedQuery)")
                }
            }

//: This is how you register to receive notificaitons of events related to your LiveQuery.
            subscription!.handleEvent { _, event in
                switch event {

case .entered(let object):
                    print("LQ Entered: \(object)")
                case .left(let object):
                    print("LQ Left: \(object)")
                case .created(let object):
                    print("LQ Created: \(object)")
                case .updated(let object):
                    print("LQ Updated: \(object)")
                case .deleted(let object):
                    print("LQ Deleted: \(object)")
                }
            }

//: This is how you register to receive notificaitons about being unsubscribed.
            subscription!.handleUnsubscribe { query in
                print("Unsubscribed from \(query)")
            }
        }
    }

I tried following procedure with observing the debug console…

1. app launch, successful subscribe, LQ updates received… so I call the testing function. Console shows that it unsubscribe and subscribe successfully and updates are indeed received. Printing LiveQuery Client shows expected booleans also:

TODO: closing just a testing query subscription: Query(method: “GET”, limit: 100, skip: 0, keys: nil, include: nil, order: nil, isCount: nil, explain: nil, hint: nil, where: ParseSwift.QueryWhere(constraints: [“objectId”: [ParseSwift.QueryConstraint(key: “objectId”, value: “49HihwaYep”, comparator: nil)]]), excludeKeys: nil, readPreference: nil, includeReadPreference: nil, subqueryReadPreference: nil, distinct: nil, pipeline: nil, fields: nil)

error when unsubscribeAllQueries: nil

testing live query for objectId: Optional(“49HihwaYep”)

cached subscription: Optional(ParseSwift.SubscriptionCallback<Felse.PrsProfile>)

Unsubscribed from Query(method: “GET”, limit: 100, skip: 0, keys: nil, include: nil, order: nil, isCount: nil, explain: nil, hint: nil, where: ParseSwift.QueryWhere(constraints: [“objectId”: [ParseSwift.QueryConstraint(key: “objectId”, value: “49HihwaYep”, comparator: nil)]]), excludeKeys: nil, readPreference: nil, includeReadPreference: nil, subqueryReadPreference: nil, distinct: nil, pipeline: nil, fields: nil)

Successfully subscribed to new query Query(method: “GET”, limit: 100, skip: 0, keys: nil, include: nil, order: nil, isCount: nil, explain: nil, hint: nil, where: ParseSwift.QueryWhere(constraints: [“objectId”: [ParseSwift.QueryConstraint(key: “objectId”, value: “49HihwaYep”, comparator: nil)]]), excludeKeys: nil, readPreference: nil, includeReadPreference: nil, subqueryReadPreference: nil, distinct: nil, pipeline: nil, fields: nil)

testing subscription: Optional(ParseSwift.SubscriptionCallback<Felse.PrsProfile>)

2. To trigger server reset I simply upload new cloud code on the back4app server and the client app prints in the debug immediately errors bellow that do not change LiveQuery booleans. LiveQuery updates are not received anymore:

2021-06-22 09:54:19.085451+0200 Felse[3471:143373] Connection 3: missing error, so heuristics synthesized error(1:53)
    2021-06-22 09:54:19.085793+0200 Felse[3471:143373] Connection 3: encountered error(1:53)

3. calling query.unsubscribe() and subscribe again does not print any handler and LiveQuery booleans change the isPendingSubscription:

TODO: closing just a testing query subscription: Query(method: “GET”, limit: 100, skip: 0, keys: nil, include: nil, order: nil, isCount: nil, explain: nil, hint: nil, where: ParseSwift.QueryWhere(constraints: [“objectId”: [ParseSwift.QueryConstraint(key: “objectId”, value: “49HihwaYep”, comparator: nil)]]), excludeKeys: nil, readPreference: nil, includeReadPreference: nil, subqueryReadPreference: nil, distinct: nil, pipeline: nil, fields: nil)

error when unsubscribeAllQueries: nil

testing live query for objectId: Optional(“49HihwaYep”)

cached subscription: Optional(ParseSwift.SubscriptionCallback<Felse.PrsProfile>)

testing LiveQuery isPendingSubscription: Optional(true)

Hard reset on the server side (through cloud code upload) might be different than loosing LiveQuery through throttling of the internet connection, but as it is well reproducible I tried to understand the LQ behaviour on that scenario first. And unfortunately I still miss the understanding of the LiveQueryClient class behaviour. Mainly because the unsubscribe/subscribe functions does not recieve any handler when tried after server disconnection - the same as following open function did not anything even when no error were thrown:

let client = ParseLiveQuery.getDefault()
        print("client: \(client)")
        client?.open(completion: { error in
            print("error while opening webSocket: \(error?.localizedDescription)")
        }) 

I recommend trying to debug this by adding print statements to the SDK itself. If you find a bug, you can submit a PR for review.

Particularly, this should fire when a disconnection occurs (I recommend starting here):

This is called because of:

Note that if for some reason URLSessionWebSocketDelegate doesn’t call didCloseWith, there’s no way the SDK will know that the socket was closed.

Putting breakpoints in the SDK revealed that this is not being called in neither in device or simulator in any of the scenarios (connection throttling, cloud code upload or even server reset via dashboard)

func urlSession(_ session: URLSession,
                    webSocketTask: URLSessionWebSocketTask,
                    didCloseWith closeCode: URLSessionWebSocketTask.CloseCode,
                    reason: Data?) {
        self.delegates.forEach { (_, value) -> Void in
            value.status(.closed)
        }
    }

the didOpenWithProtocol method in extension LiveQuerySocket: URLSessionWebSocketDelegate is being called properly, so the delegate uses it’s methods.

I was reading in the documentation and even there is nil in delegateQueue, it should work:

override init() {
   super.init()
   session = URLSession(configuration: .default, delegate: self, delegateQueue: nil)
}

So I wonder, if anyone else observed it and it is normal or it might be related to back4app environment…?

The documentation also says, Tells the delegate that the WebSocket task received a close frame from the server endpoint, optionally including a close code and reason from the server. So if no close frame is being sent from the server, this shouldn’t be expected to fire. On the client side, when you exit the app, the client properly deinits sending a close frame to the server which is why those connections show as “close” in the console

Hm, it makes sense and I guess that will be the same in case of restart or connection throttling. So if there is no way how to handle connection problems through that delegate method the clients should detect connection problems in some other way. One Idea would be to ignore connectivity at all and just react on the response from object .save() that could be rejected by cloud code function if the object in server database is newer. In other words, if the server would reject a .save() request, the client app would realise that the data in device might be obsolete and would try to refetch actual state and restart LiveQuery. But here I stuck again.

First I tried:

client?.close()
        client?.open(completion: { error in
            print("error opening LQ: \(error)")
        })

the client?.close() seems to close the task, but keeps client?.isSocketEstablished = true what might be correct behaviour. Although I would expect that in this case it would set to false (at least by URLSessionWebSocketDelegate, but there the method didCloseWith does not get called also, even the connection to server is live). Is there a reason, why there is not set the status(.closed) here? Or should there be any URL Session invalidation in there?

Because when the client?.open(completion:...) tries to open the client again, the task will receive and error on line 59:

Optional

• some : Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-999 “cancelled” UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://felse.b4a.io/, NSLocalizedDescription=cancelled, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://felse.b4a.io/}

This error does not occur on the fresh LQ connection during app launch and as there is no error handling after line 506, the code just fall through without setting isConnecting

on fresh app start are the task values the same as on the later open attempt

Printing description of task:
LocalWebSocketTask <9A3BC5D5-…7F05C1967>.<1>

Printing description of encodedAsString:
“{“op”:“connect”,“applicationId”:“coYfu…Ug4p”,“clientKey”:“L8PDq…87gl”,“sessionToken”:“r:5a…baf8”,“installationId”:“7ec2…c9ca”}”

Perhaps the .close() does not let the server know that the socket is closed and that’s why it is being canceled during later .open()…? As I am not experienced enough I am not sure if that is desired or e bug.

Even if I would not worry about .close() and .open() and would just unsubscribe and subscribe again with

try subscription!.query.unsubscribe()

the .send() function receives an error for both unsubscribe and subscribe on line 73/77:

Optional

• some : Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=57 “Socket is not connected” UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://felse.b4a.io/, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://felse.b4a.io/}

as if has no error handling, this again falls through:

Printing client booleans shows as previously that socket is established:

testing LiveQuery isPendingSubscription: Optional(true)

That’s why I believe there is no other way around than solving the socket status. And when the URLSessionWebSocketDelegate doesn’t call didCloseWith (what I understood it cannot when connection is dead or server down) then only manual reset would help, right? In that case I would need to clarify if here bellow line 130 should not be a manual status change to closed or invalidation of the URL:

There can be multiple LiveQuery connections through one socket, closing 1 connection shouldn’t close the socket itself.

The following PR may help with determining the status of a parse server being available:

LiveQuery ping pong will be a great feature to confirm the connection status. Nevertheless without resolving the issue of not being able to restart the LiveQuery/subscription I cannot take much advantage of ping-pong.

I noticed one more thing in Xcode debug navigator… When I launched the app first time today it had one active connection that sends/receives few kB each 10sec. When I uploaded the cloud code, the debug console prints an error and the active connection disappears immediately with send/receive kBs also. Still no notification in the URLSessionWebSocketDelegate that connection was closed:

2021-06-24 11:27:58.758572+0200 Felse[2054:92561] Connection 3: encountered error(1:53)

next launch opens 3 connection where only one is sending/receiving traffic:

When I reset the server / upload cloud code only that one active connection disappeared immediately again with sending/receiving few kBs:

A few seconds later also the two other connections closed with only sending traffic:

So I tried to launch the app third time and again 3 connections were open. After about 95sec of letting the app do nothing the two connections closed again with only sending traffic and the only one active LiveQuery connection remained:

For now I ignore the fact that there are 3 connections active, before the back4app support comes back to me, but I wonder… Should not the URLSessionWebSocketDelegate call didCloseWith when it seems that Xcode knows that the connection was closed?

I’ve looked further into ParseLiveQuery and fixed a bug where a web socket task was being reused after it was closed. I also addressed some of the error handling you mentioned. The fixes are in the PR I mentioned earlier.

You can try out the PR and test out the updated playgrounds:

I can confirm that with the fix I am able to reset LiveQuery successfully and also in the cloud code info log the messages appear immediately now (not sure if Back4App has done anything on their side as I got no feedback yet).

First I tried only to .unsubscribe() and .subscribe() after a broken connection (cloud code upload, server reset,…) but that was not successful as it gives the error for both functions:

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=57 “Socket is not connected” UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://felse.b4a.io/, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://felse.b4a.io/}

Just using .unsubscribe() and .subscribe() works well before the connection is broken. So I adopted the .closeAll() function:

ParseLiveQuery.getDefault().closeAll()

Here I noticed are 3 ways to do it:

1. .unsubscribe()
  2. .closeAll()
  3. var subscription = query.subscribeCallback! with setting completion handlers

1. .closeAll()
  2. var subscription = query.subscribeCallback! !without! setting completion handlers, otherwise it doubles the event handlers

#3 ← I ended up using this and it works perfectly

1. ParseLiveQuery.getDefault().closeAll()
  2. ParseLiveQuery.getDefault().open(completion: { error in … })

What would be the correct way from the server side? In the cloud code info log I see that it disconnects even using the second way (not calling .unsubscribe()):

2021-06-26T11:28:31.866Z - Client disconnect: ac12dfda-d1ad-4999-a08d-6effaf448a05

As the connection is already broken at that point I believe there is no advantage of calling .unsubscribe() on the server side, right? But can there be any zombie subscriptions in the LiveQuery server hanging?

Thank you for solving this issue! I believe, now there is a robust way to reset LQ connection without restarting the client app!

I don’t know much about how live query works on the server side to answer what you should do there. My guess is that once a connection is closed the server will discard the subscriptions, but @davimacedo might have more info here.

I’ll point out that now on the client side, after you unsubscribe from all of your subscriptions, it will automatically close the connection.

The second and third way you mentioned seems reasonable to me. It just matters your scenario. If you are subscribing to a new query in scenario 2, it should reconnect and also resubscribe to any previous queries as well. Scenario 3 should reconnect and resubscribe to all previous queries.

Note that you can also use: ParseLiveQuery.client?.open, ParseLiveQuery.client?.openPublisher, ParseLiveQuery.client?.close(), ParseLiveQuery.client?.closeAll()

1 Like

Thank you for clarification. In my case is the #3 the most elegant and working after broken connection (or also with live connection eventually).

As you mentioned I noticed, that .unsubscribe() is closing the connection (if not broken before), what I can confirm in Xcode and via cloud code info log. Just out of curiosity, should not the URLSessionWebSocketDelegate call didCloseWith at that moment? I see in the debug console a line:

2021-06-26 19:20:25.070351+0200 Felse[6674:997878] [websocket] Read completed with an error Operation canceled

But when I put breakpoint in the following lines, the function is not getting called. What I would expect (with my limited knowledge)…

func urlSession(_ session: URLSession,
                    webSocketTask: URLSessionWebSocketTask,
                    didCloseWith closeCode: URLSessionWebSocketTask.CloseCode,
                    reason: Data?) {
        self.delegates.forEach { (_, value) -> Void in
            value.status(.closed)
        }
    }

When you unsubscribe from all subscriptions or call close or closeAll the socket is being closed from the client side (see Apple documentation for cancel()), not the server side. I’ll defer to the Apple documentation for the delegate, but my interpretation is the delegate method gets called when the server requests to close the connection which will then send a close frame to tell the client to gracefully close:

1 Like

I see, thank you for the patience and great clarification!

1 Like

In addition you can also receive connection metrics on the client side and make decisions from there. You can do that by becoming a receiveDelegate:

http://parseplatform.org/Parse-Swift/api/Classes/ParseLiveQuery.html#/s:10ParseSwift0A9LiveQueryC15receiveDelegateAA0acdF0_pSgvp

And then using received(_ metrics: URLSessionTaskTransactionMetrics)

1 Like

with this snippet:

client?.receiveDelegate = self

I tried the ParseLiveQueryDelegate as you proposed and it indeed notify that there was a disconnection:

func received(_ error: ParseError) {
    print("received: \(error)")
}

This is received 2x no matter if I subscribe to 1 or 2 query:

received: ParseError code=-1 error=The operation couldn’t be completed. Socket is not connected

Digging a bit deeper in the LiveQuerySocket function…

…I see that the line 97 calls the receive(task) again, what is a bit confusing for me. Perhaps you could enlighten a bit on that. But as it is not related to disconnection I went further on line 103, 104. I did print the error before it gets translated to ParseError (line 103):

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=57 “Socket is not connected” UserInfo={NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://felse.b4a.io/, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://felse.b4a.io/}

So the error code that should trigger query reset is 57 “Socket is not connected” and at that point the ParseLiveQuery should close itself (what it doesn’t currently). We can see that the line 104 pass it to the ParseLiveQuery line 473 and then to the receiveDelegate.

Why it gets called 2x I could not understand even with putting a lot of breakpoints. Let’s assume I would ignore the second call with some Bool frag I would like to implement reconnecting feature in the receive delegate. Here I noticed:

1. that all functions are mandatory, what makes the delegate look like this:
extension ParseService: ParseLiveQueryDelegate {

func received(_ challenge: URLAuthenticationChallenge, completionHandler: @escaping (URLSession.AuthChallengeDisposition, URLCredential?) -> Void) {

}

func received(_ error: ParseError) {
        print("received: \(error)")
    }

func receivedUnsupported(_ data: Data?, socketMessage: URLSessionWebSocketTask.Message?) {

}

func received(_ metrics: URLSessionTaskTransactionMetrics) {

}

func closedSocket(_ code: URLSessionWebSocketTask.CloseCode?, reason: Data?) {

}

}

Do you think that the functions could be made optional, or it would break some logic?

1. the func received(_ error: ParseError) handles already translates ParseError and therefore hides the webSocket error code 57. As the ParseError does not have yet the Code 57 I think that it could be added and then passed through this function. Or on the other login on, the function could pass original Error instead of ParseError.

2. Or maybe the SDK itself could react on the code 57 and try to reconnect, so that the client would not need to implement receiveDelegate to handle this?

What do you think? Thank you!

This is a requirement of URLSessionWebSocketTask. Apple has a video describing how URLSessionWebSocketTask works and there’s a blog that discusses:

This was already implemented, the extension just wasn’t public. The PR below makes it public.

You can test out the branch to see if it works: LiveQuery socket should always continue receiving by cbaker6 · Pull Request #204 · parse-community/Parse-Swift · GitHub

Great! Thank you for clarification!

A I am testing it out, it is calling the self.open(isUserWantsToConnect: false) { _ in } on line 489

But I believe that passing parameter isUserWantsToConnect: false does not set isConnected = false and therefore it stays true (as my debug prints show).

And step by step with breakpoints revealed that the open(isUserWantsToConnect:) returns on the line 540

Calling self.open(isUserWantsToConnect: true) { _ in } feel incorrect, so what if the isConnected would be set to false right before calling self.open(isUserWantsToConnect: false) { _ in }?

func receivedError(_ error: Error) {
        guard let posixError = error as? POSIXError else {
            notificationQueue.async {
                self.receiveDelegate?.received(error)
            }
            return
        }
        if posixError.code == .ENOTCONN {
            if attempts + 1 >= ParseLiveQueryConstants.maxConnectionAttempts + 1 {
                let parseError = ParseError(code: .unknownError,
Max attempts (\(ParseLiveQueryConstants.maxConnectionAttempts) reached.
Not attempting to connect to LiveQuery server anymore.
""")
                self.receiveDelegate?.received(parseError)
            }
            self.isConnected = false   //<---- setting is connected to false here
            self.open(isUserWantsToConnect: false) { _ in }
        } else {
            notificationQueue.async {
                self.receiveDelegate?.received(error)
            }
        }
    }

One another state that could be covered is the failed self.open(isUserWantsToConnect: false) { _ in } try. Since it has empty completion block and the open(isUserWantsToConnect:) can fail with error, returning that error to empty completion block would not inform receiveDelegate that the reconnection failed. But perhaps this is covered by the status(_ status: LiveQuerySocket.Status, closeCode: URLSessionWebSocketTask.CloseCode?, reason: Data?) protocol function, I will have a look how does that behave…

Let me know how the PR below works: