Which repo to use to start a new project: parse server VS. parse server example

Does the parse-server-example repo (GitHub - parse-community/parse-server-example: Example server using Express and the parse-server module.) have all the functions of the parse server including graphql?

So, it is better to start a new project by using the parse-server-example repo instead of the parse-server repo (GitHub - parse-community/parse-server: API server module for Node/Express), right?

Thanks

Parse Server Example is a good stating point but does not have GraphQL mounted on it yet. So, for GraphQL, I’d start with this example: GitHub - parse-community/parse-server: API server module for Node/Express

Thanks. If I don’t need GraghQL, is GitHub - parse-community/parse-server-example: Example server using Express and the parse-server module. better than GitHub - parse-community/parse-server: API server module for Node/Express?

The difference between the two is that:

• parse-server is the raw Parse Server module itself
  • parse-server-example is an application in which Parse Server is added as a sub-module, which gives you space to code an application around Parse Server

To kick-start creating your own Parse Server application we created and recommend the parse-server-example repository.

As analogy, if you eat out in a pizzeria, you likely wouldn’t go to the oven and philosophize with the pizzaiolo about the dough (although that can be good advice sometimes).

Instead you would:

• sit at a table (parse-server-example application)
  • talk to the waiter (npm)
  • order your pizza (already added parse-server module)
  • order side dishes (other modules you may want to add to your application)
  • enjoy the bread sticks already on the table (already added modules for code testing, code quality)
1 Like

I understand now. Thanks for your vivid illustration!