How to transition from the old Parse framework

Hello!
As the title says, how do I make the transition from the old Parse framework to Parse Swift seamlessly (Authentication wise)?
As of now, the only way I see possible is force users to re-login and is not really a viable solution, since we have a lot of users. Is there any way to either link the old user with a Parse Swift one?

There’s currently no conversion from PFUser (objective-c SDK) to ParseUser (Swift SDK) in the Keychain as well as most of PFInstallation. The Swift SDK can get installationId from the Objective-C SDK. If you or someone else would like to build this feature feel free to have the discussion and eventually open a PR.

A number of developers have switched to the Swift SDK. Maybe they can chime in with how they converted over and if they created custom solutions.

1 Like

Given the fact that legacy Objective-C SDK is not actively maintained and is only accumulating problems over time, it may be really a good time to start thinking how to provide seamless transition into the Swift based SDK.

I am one of the guys still actively shipping apps with Objective-C SDK, now with a custom Swift Package Manager support built into my forked copy (https://github.com/mman/Parse-SDK-iOS-OSX/tree/spm). But in order to keep the build clean I am simply removing broken features from the SDK instead of fixing them properly - and I’d love to switch to Swift SDK, but until the migration path is clean for already signed in users this will not be possible…

So it will be a good story for Swift SDK to provide clean migration path. I will be happy to help from September!

Martin

Is there anything similar to what Parse Obj-C has with

+ (BFTask *)becomeInBackground:(NSString *)sessionToken {
    PFParameterAssert(sessionToken, @"Session Token must be provided for login.");
    return [[self userController] logInCurrentUserAsyncWithSessionToken:sessionToken];
}

+ (void)becomeInBackground:(NSString *)sessionToken block:(PFUserResultBlock)block {
    [[self becomeInBackground:sessionToken] thenCallBackOnMainThreadAsync:block];
}

?

Cause it looks like exactly what I/we need. We detect the old user, do a similar link and that’s it