πŸ† Parse Bounty Program

We are announcing the Parse Bounty Program :sparkles:

The goal of the program is to facilitate product development by recycling community donations back into the contributor community and making paid contribution more accessible.

How does it work?

1. Pick a GitHub issue with a bounty label, for example: image
  2. Open a PR and get it merged
  3. Submit your expense claim directly to our Open Collective

Read the full program details here.

Which issues will have a bounty?

The program will start as a trial and be available in select repositories for select issues. Which issues will be selected depends on various factors, such as urgency, strategic importance, community demand, or to revive stale issues. Initially, the Project Management Committee will select issues for bounties, but in the long-term we envision a mechanism based on community feedback that applies bounties to issues automatically.

Repositories currently with bounty labels:

Let us know your thoughts!

Can I quit my daily job?

Rather not; the purpose of the program is to give a small incentive to contributors to look at issues that need attention. The amount of compensation is not intended to reach a market-level salary. Think of the bounty to be a token of gratitude, or a way of saying:

Thanks for tackling this issue, enjoy a coffee paid for by the community!

Won’t that hurt voluntary contribution?

We do not expect the program to discourage contributors from tackling issues that do not have a bounty. If however issues with a bounty get slightly more attention than issues without a bounty, that is exactly the effect the program aims to achieve.

Can I open an issue and receive a bounty?

Yes, you can receive a bounty if you submit a pull request for your own issue. However, whether a bounty is applied to your issue depends on various factors, see above.

Can I suggest issues for a bounty?

If you want to show your support for an issue, please do so by upvoting the issue on GitHub with a :+1:, :heart:, :rocket: or :tada: instead of posting a β€œ+1” comment to suggest a bounty. We will consider these reactions when looking for issues that should have a bounty.

Isn’t there already something similar?

Yes, the Paid Contributors Program started as a trial in 2019, and even though it was theoretically open to every community member, in practice it was hardly accessible or promoted to the broader community. In fact, only 2 members of the PMC ever participated in the program. After 2 years, the trial has been terminated last month (September) and the program completely rewritten, incorporating the trial insights. In contrast to the Parse Bounty Program, the Paid Contributors Program continues to exist for forms of contributions that require more controlling with defined scope, quality and time.

What’s next?

We will start selecting issues across our repositories and applying bounty labels.

6 Likes