Thoughts on having CodeFund ethical ads?

With the old forum, I considered applying to join CodeFund to display ‘ethical’ ads on the forum and possibly the other Parse Platform sites such as the main website, docs and blog.

CodeFund serve ads focused at developers & have a clear set of values (without that I wouldn’t even consider having ads). From their website

We do not track, profile, or sell information. We do not use cookies. We only show ads that are relevant and meaningful to the users.

If people support this idea I was thinking we could start with some ads on the forum (there is an official plugin we can use) and then maybe extend to other parts of the website. The proceeds would of course go straight to our open collective.

It is also possible to only show adds users who are below a certain trust level.

They do have a minimum number of monthly page views (20,000 I think) which we were getting close to with the old forum.

I wouldn’t be bothered by seeing ads as long as there are not blocking content.(Like Popup ads on center of page). Good idea.

1 Like

No definitely no pop ups they would all be inline and few and far between. See this image for an example ad from CodeFund…

1 Like

Seems great. I vote for yes

Yeah this is fine by me. Possibly an option to remove ads by paying is something I’d pay for.

…and that was the end of that :confused:

The time has come for us to shut down CodeFund. As many others, we were unable to survive the economic downturn.

https://codefund.io

Yes, such a shame. They have suggested ethicalads.io as an alternative but the Discourse ads plugin doesn’t support it so it’s definitely off the cards for the foreseeable future.